Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Friends........what are they?

When i was small, i would read about friends.. how good to have friends.. they are suppose to be good to you. I can still remember quotes.. roses are red, violets are blue, sugar is sweet but not as sweet as you, we'll always be good friends, friends will be there when u need them, a friend in need is a friend indeed etc.


I used to think friends are like that..... until I learned from my years of gathering experiences that they are not like that.


There are many categories of friends. What are friends? Are they the one who would share your happiness and sadness? Are they the one who would be there for you come shine or rain? Are they the one who would spit and spat on you while at the same be the one who shared your joy and happiness?


In my lifetime, I have encountered many 'friends' but to have a true friend, it is easier said than done.


For me a true friend, is the one probably you don't like but ....
would always be your cushion when you fall,
be your mirror when you're at fault,
be your tissue when you cried, be your ears when you want to talk,
be your mouth when you can't talk
and
would always reside in your heart even after so many years have gone by.



As WS said, a friendship needs to be built.


For me, a friendship is like a seed, needs to be sow, nurtured, watered and protected come rain or shine. Whether it turn out to be bad or good would depend on how you nurture, water and protect it.


A friendship which can withstand the test of time and trials can be termed a friendship. It's like a diamond.. when it is harvested, it's not of much value. Only when it is cut and polished, it will become the prized diamond.


I may or may not be lucky to have this kind of friendship but at least I can say I have tried.